Even though most people think of teenagers when they think of orthodontics, there are good reasons your child should get an orthodontic evaluation much sooner. We often see patients for an evaluation and think, “If I had seen this patient at an earlier age, their treatment would be easier, and treatment time shorter.”
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends a check-up with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7.
Why your child should get an orthodontic check-up no later than age 7:
• Orthodontists can spot problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while baby teeth are still present.
• While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
• The check-up may reveal that your child’s bite is fine. Or, the orthodontist may identify a problem that can benefit from early treatment.
• Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
• In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
• Early treatment may give your orthodontist the chance to:
◦ guide jaw growth
◦ lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth
◦ correct harmful oral habits
◦ improve appearance
◦ guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
◦ improve the way lips meet
• Through an early orthodontic evaluation, you’ll be giving your child the best opportunity for a healthy, beautiful smile.
Because all patients differ in both physical development and treatment needs, our goal at Boise Valley Orthodontics is to provide each patient with the most appropriate treatment at the most appropriate time.